Saturday, November 9, 2013

What is the secret to not having flare ups of your IBS?

I had a patient ask me what is my secret for being able to maintain my IBS and not have so many flare ups.
For years I was using anti gas medication, activated charcoal, and Imodium. Then one day my body would start having withdrawals from the Imodium. I knew when the Imodium was wearing off because I would start having cold sweats and then my body would shake and I would feel like I wanted to vomit. This would last for hours. I thought I was going to die.

I didn't know what else to do now that I couldn't take Imodium any more. The activated charcoal only worked so well as I was also taking about 6 capsules every 4 hours or so of the anti-gas medications.

I was a wreck. I couldn't go anywhere without having a game plan on knowing where the bathrooms were and I couldn't go to the park with my daughter without having to turn around and head back home or go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. I was letting my medical condition control me. Not the other way around.

I finally decided to start working on myself. When I mean working on myself and I mean the whole thing. Spiritual, Emotional, and Physical. The easy part was the physical. That is all exercise and diet. The hard part was the emotional/spiritual part. I had to dig deep. Go where I didn't want to go. I thought I knew how to deal with life, but I was wrong.

I was seeing myself as a person who was more then half empty instead of seeing myself as someone who was whole and complete.  I started with reading books which lead me to go to support groups and to finally knowing what I was doing and how I have a choice everyday on how I'm going to handle and look at a situation.

It was a hard road looking at how I made my own drama and how I was contributing to other people's drama.  I still have times where I fall flat on my face, but learning to have a more positive outlook of myself and life has helped with keeping the flare ups down with my IBS.

Yes I still have IBS, but I don't let it control me anymore because I know that I am a whole and complete person even with having IBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment